A few hours after I decided to give this recipe I found on The Kitchn a go, my mama called me on the telly. She had been away all weekend, eating like a piggy, drinking like a fish, and just wanted something “clean and simple” to eat for dinner. I told her about what I was cooking up and she decided to try it the very same night.
Digging in, I knew we would disagree on one thing: the salt. I definitely think this dish needs a good bit more of it. My mother cooks entire dishes with a pinch of it, if that, and full disclosure: I throw some into whatever she is cooking if I am around (Surprise!).
A few other note-worthy tidbits:
- I have a great fiancé sous chef (who pretends not to care every time I say ‘hydro-plane’ instead of ‘micro-plane’)
- Sweet potatoes do not need butter or sugar to be delicious (ok, Paula?)
- 1 lb of spinach, cooked down, is basically a handful
- Coconut milk is a great substitute for anyone too scared to jump off the dairy train
- Yes, dairy trains exist.
- And 2 giant sweet potatoes is enough for 6 people. Woops.